Pages

...

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Thursday, February 17, 2011
I don't know how only two people produce so much laundry! Every weekend, the hampers are overflowing on to the floor. We will do around 4-5 loads each week. Seriously, that's just embarassing! Well, I've found a way to put at least $80 back into the budget each year (not a huge amount, but that's 2 extra date nights or a J Crew dress).


In an effort to be more responsible with the environment and my wallet… I was inspired to make my own laundry soap! I found this great recipe for it in a blog that love. It's safe for HE washers, and the recipe is super quick and easy! No added chemicals, stain fighters-- what more could you ask for??


These are the ingredients:
  • 1 bar of Zote soap
  • 1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap (can use Ivory soap instead)
  • 4 cups borax
  • 4 cups washing soda
I had never heard of most of the ingredients, so I was a little nervous about finding them. I went to amazon, and it was going to cost $20+ just to ship some soap! That wasn't going to work, so I just looked at the stores near me for the items. I found the Zote at Walgreens, and I found the rest at Publix in the household cleaning aisle next to the laundry soap.

This was my shopping receipt:
Fels-Naptha ($.99)
Borax ($3.99 for 76 ounces)
Washing Soda ($2.29 for 55 ounces)
Zote ($.79)

I also needed a hand grater to grate the soap and a container (at least 10 cups) for the laundry detergent to live in. I got both at Dollar Tree for $1 (duh).

Grate the bars of soap. Combine with borax and washing soda. Store in air tight container. Use 2 Tablespoons of powder per load.
Note: It has a slight scent, but you can also add some essential oils (lavender, lemongrass, etc.) for added scent!

So here is how it is economical!
5 ounces Fels Naptha… $.99
32 ounces (4 cups) Borax… $1.68
32 ounces (4 cups) Washing Soda… $1.33
14 ounces Zote… $.79
equals... $4.79 for 83 ounces of laundry powder or 166 Tablespoons

you can do 83 loads of laundry/ batch for only $.05 per load!

If I decide that I really like this, I will buy more things in bulk which will make it even more economical! I heard a lady say that she makes it for $2/batch.

Compare to 50oz bottle of Tide that advertises 32 loads for $12. That's $.38/load!



On a related note, I've also been reading up on using white vinegar for fabric softener. But I don't know if I'll be parting with my Suavitel... love it!

1 comments to Homemade Laundry Detergent:

Becca said...

Also I read that A) you don't need as much detergent as is "recommended", and B) you can usually wash most of your clothes on the "light" level because that usually gets the job done and uses less water :) I've even done it on Brian's ACU's and it works...and that's saying something...those things are DIRTY!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...