Pages

...

Staying Warm

Monday, February 7, 2011
Last week I was shipped off to the northeast for work. My second week out of town since the new year. I think this amount of travel is going to be the norm. I missed the terrible storms that cut straight through the country thankfully! One of the greatest things about traveling so much will be visiting with friends and family. I went to Maryland and Virgina and got to see Dad, Ty, Rachel, Aunt Patty, Katy, Paul, Alex and Michael. Loved it!


Zach flew up on Friday, and we spent the weekend with Dad. Frederick, Maryland has been the only consistent town in my life. My plane from Korea landed in Baltimore, and my dad has lived there ever since. Dad and I went to dinner at a Chinese restaurant that I remember eating at as a little girl. It's cool to go back to this area and think about all that has happened over the years. Of course, Dad showed Zach some of my baby pictures and elementary art projects. On Saturday we went skiing at White Tail. Zach hadn't been on snow like this since he was little, and it had been several years for me, too! We had so much fun hitting the slopes! Dad is a really good skier, so he would hang back when we were skiing down the mountain to retrieve skis that had fallen off during a bad tumble. Zach and I spent some of the day flat on our faces in the snow, but we had a wonderful time!


Being in the cold snow and ice all week built up my appetite for something that would warm me up from the inside out, so I made a big pot of minestrone soup last night. This is one of Zach's favorites- and it's super low in calories... BONUS! This is a great recipe to double or triple!
THIRTY MINUTE MINESTRONE SOUP




3 Tbs EVOO
2 medium zucchini, diced
3 medium yellow squash, diced
1/2 tsp crushed garlic (optional)
2 c frozen or can corn
1 15oz can tomato sauce
5 c chicken broth
1 tsp finely chopped basil (dried is fine)
1 tsp thyme (dried is fine)
1 15oz can white northern beans (draining is optional)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Recommended serving with Parmesan cheese and bread.
Serves 6 (or 4 lunch-sized portions for a hungry husband)
Heat EVOO and garlic in large pot. Simmer squash and zucchini on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and corn and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil, thyme, salt, tomato sauce, and white beans. Cook on medium low heat for 15 minutes. Enjoy!!

1 comments to Staying Warm:

Becca said...

Yummy! And I actually really LIKE zucchini and squash! Your skiing pictures are adorable--looks like fun! love love love :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...