Pages

...

3rd Year

Sunday, July 10, 2011
Zach started his 3rd year of medical school on Tuesday, July 5th. His first rotation is trauma surgery. He’s always considered surgery, so we’ll see how he feels about it. Maybe I can coerce him into doing another guest blog post? As for me, I only see my man about 3 hours each day. He’ll leave the apartment at 4:30am and not return until after 7pm. This happens 6 days a week. Since he gets up so early, he goes to bed early. I’ll try to have dinner ready for him when we gets home, and hopefully we’ll be able to swap stories from the day for a little bit before he just wants to sit and chill for the rest of the evening. His 12-15 hour days are very busy, so the time goes by fast for him. This is not the most ideal schedule, but we can do it for 8 weeks! He must be at the hospital by 5am, but there is no "clock out" time. Sometimes he'll be home at 7pm, or 8pm, or 9pm. I just cook dinner, and put his in the fridge until he gets home. He will be "on call" 4 times this rotation which means that he will stay at the hospital from 5am until noon the following day- a 30+ hour day!

So, as you can tell, I'm alone a lot. It will just take some getting used to. But I do plan on spending a lot more time with some friends! Annnnnnnd being crafty =)

Zach worked Saturday, so this is what I did...

Made a felt rose wreath

Sewed a skirt! I have never made actually clothing before, but this was a really easy pattern! The back has elastic, and there is a really cute front pleat!
Salsa from the garden! I whipped up an enormous batch of salsa with tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro, and limes. It is SUPER spicy! Too spicy for even Zach to eat it off of chips. So I'll just cook with it. I had this container plus 2 ziplock freezer bags full! I can't complain... I had a productive weekend!

It poured down rain all weekend, so Zach and I didn't feel bad about vegging out together all Sunday afternoon!

1 comments to 3rd Year:

Jill said...

Ok, I have several things to comment on:
- I remember the days {and many nights} that my dad had to be at the hospital during med school and residency and I totally understand what you're going through. This will be a long, hard run but you will be stronger because of it in the end! I know from experience!
-I can totally relate to excessive amounts of "alone time" and cooking supper, eating alone, and putting your husband's plate in the fridge for him to eat later.
-which leads me to... I'm so glad you've taken up sewing! I still can't decide if I would like it... Hobbies are fun "time-fillers" for lots of alone time. I LOVE those shorts by the way!
-and your salsa sounds and looks delicious... My blender is on it's way to Washington because I simply can't live without my homemade salsa and morning smoothies anymore! I make PW's salsa and it is DIVINE!

Ok, that's all! Sorry for the novel, I just felt the need to comment on everything! haha

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...