Pages

...

Couponing

Tuesday, June 14, 2011
So I had been skeptical of this new fad, couponing. I thought it was excessive (who needs 47 bottles of mustard), wasteful (why drive to 7 different stores 3 times a week) and led to hoarding (have you seen Extreme Couponing where people store 78 tolls or paper towels under beds and in their showers). But now that I've taken a whack at it for about a month, I'm hooked! I can't dedicate myself entirely because I simply do not have the storage space or the mouths to feed, but the principles and strategies I'm learning now can be applied years down the road when we have little ones running around! I ONLY buy things that I need. I will stock up on expensive or free items if they are a good deal, but I haven't bought more than 4 of anything. And when we run out of space to store things, I'm done until we clean some stuff out.


Sure, it's a little embarassing to walk up to the check out counter and ask to checkout 7 separate times. And, ok, I've had the cashier call up the manager of several occassions. But, I can handle a little embarassement for the sake of saving a substanial amount of money. I buy 2 newspapers each Sunday at the dollar store (that's a savings of $1 right there!), and I more than make up that cost! I'll sit down and plan out shopping trips (this does take a bit of time, but it goes faster once you've honed your eye for what to look for). I always plan my menu and make a shopping list before clipping coupons- this way I really stick to only buying what I need. I do still buy some groceries at full-price. Sometimes there are little coupons not featured on websites because they don't yield really really high savings, but saving 50 cents is 50 cents is your pocket. So if there is an item I need on my shopping list and a coupon for it, I'll still clip it and use it. At Publix, I generally spend the same amount that I save (so if I spend $60 on groceries, I have savings that equal $60). That can really add up!




I only shop at CVS, Walgreens and Publix. And these are a couple of my shopping trips from this week:In all, I spent $28.25, saved $50.78, and have $6 in RegisterRewards to use next week!
CVS

First transaction,

2 Dial soap
1 Covergirl Lip gloss
1 Covergirl mascara
1 Covergirl waterproof mascara

Total $40.05
Total after sale $30.76
Total Manufacturer Coupons: $10
Total Store Coupons: $4
Total Spent: $18.43 (includes tax)
*Since I spent over $15 on Covergirl, I received $5 ExtraBucks to use towards another purchase.

Second Transaction,

2 bottles of vegetable oil (BoGo)

Total $10.58
Total after sale $5.29
Total Store Coupons: $5
Total Spent: $.29


CVS Trip Summary: Spent $18.72, Saved $31.91!!



Walgreens (I had $5.99 in Register Rewards from the previous week to use this week)

First Transaction,

1 Colgate 360 Toothbrush
1 bottle of Alcohol
2 Jello Instant Pudding Mix
2 rolls of aluminum foil

Total $10.94
Total after sale $9.94
Total Manufacturer Coupons: $1
Total Store Coupons: $3.50
Total RR: $5
Total Spent: $.73 (includes tax)
*I received $2 RR for buying Colgate toothbrush

Second Transaction,

1 Colgate 360 Toothbrush
1 box kraft mac and cheese
1 Nicole by OPI nail polish

Total $13.47
Total after sale $8.47
Total Manufacturer Coupons: $.75
Total Store Coupons: $.80
Total RR: $.99
Total Spent: $6.37 (includes tax)
*I received $2 RR for buying Colgate toothbrush

Third Transaction,

1 Colgate 360 Toothbrush

Total $3.99
Total after sale $2.99
Total Manufacturer Coupons: $$.75
Total Spent: $2.43 (includes tax)
*I received $2 RR for buying Colgate toothbrush

Walgreens Trip Summary: Spent $9.53, Saved $18.87, RR to use next week $6!!

0 comments to Couponing:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...