Pages

...

Guest Post: Beastmode!!!

Friday, June 3, 2011
Hello followers of Stacey's Blog. This is Zach Greene. Seeing as it is called "the greene scene", I should probably throw in my two cents every once in awhile. Now that issue is settled and we can move on to the meat of the post.

There are plenty of reasons that I am proud of my wife. I would like to share one of them with you tonight. Stacey and I have been very active lately. We recently started a bootcamp, and believe me, it is super tough. It is one month long and only $20 (thanks LivingSocial). For the past 3 days we have been grueling it out in 100+ degree heat. Well I believe that the past 3 days are starting to pay off.

Stacey and I also participate in the Gainesville Ultimate Frisbee League on Friday afternoons, and our team was 0-3. This Friday was a different story. Stacey and I went out there battle tested. (note: we went out about 30 minutes early to warm up because we were so sore from bootcamp).

The game was very close, but we were losing 6-4 as halftime drew near. Our team, Beastmode, was on offense and the windy conditions meant that our opponent was going to try a zone defense. Stacey was very far away from the disc, playing her role, which was to spread the zone out by standing in the endzone. It is kindof boring but the defense can't ignore her or we would throw the disc deep to the 5'4" Stacey. Well, in classic fashion, we turn the disc over and Stacey is a good 50 yds away from pretty much everybody. She started sprinting back towards the action to cover somebody. The competition out there is pretty good and if there is an open person, its easy to score a goal. Stacey ran to the open person to guard them, and it just so happened to be a 6'3" guy with lots of experience. In the game of Ultimate, you have 10 secs to throw the disc once someone starts guarding you. Stacey guarded him masterfully and when he only had 2 secs left to throw, he made an ill advised pass that resulted in a turnover. I was on the sideline cheering her on and I promise that had she not sprinted to guard him, they would have scored.

Thats not all!!!! As our team regained possession of the frisbee, Stacey went back to her mind-numbing job of standing in the endzone to stretch the zone out. As the zone spread out, our teammates with the disc found some openings and we started to move upfield. There Stacey was, standing all alone in the endzone. The pass was completed and Stacey scored the point. She had caused a turnover on one side of the field and scored on the other, all in the same point. In the game of Ultimate, we call that a "bookends". I'm so proud of her, and I love her too!!!

That point may have changed the game. We went to half losing 6-8. It got out of hand after half and at our lowest point we were losing 6-11. Our team kept motivated and we went on a 6 point run taking the lead 12-11. We ended up winning 15-13. Who knows, if Stacey hadn't saved that point, we might not have been able to make the comback. Go Beastmode!!!!!

She is coming along very quickly. This is her first time playing competitive ultimate (I'm not counting intramurals). In contrast, I have been playing competitive ultimate for 3 years now, including 1 year at MSU, and 1 year at UF (I was part of the UF Ultimate National Champs 2010 team). That being said, this was easily one of my proudest moments playing the game.


The other Greene,

Zach

1 comments to Guest Post: Beastmode!!!:

Becca said...

I love your team name. I sure hope you have t-shirts! And Zach, some of those intramurals brought the beast out in me...ha! Especially against one team in particular. I'm sure Stace knows exactly which one I'm talking about-haha! Sounds like a blast!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...